September 11, 2011

Always remember, never forget

On the 10 year anniversary of the September 11 attacks on our country, I find myself completely drawn into all this media coverage, moreso than I have in years past.

Maybe because it's been 10 years when it seems like just yesterday the attacks occurred.

But I think mostly, it's because I remember where I was, what I was doing, how I felt when those things happened that are really coming to the forefront with the anniversary of these sad events.

I look at my daughter and I am glad she wasn't around to witness the collective sigh of grief from our nation in the days following the tragedy. I'm glad she was spared from experiencing such evil. I know she'll learn about it in school one day, and she will probably ask me about it. I'll tell her an evil man hated our country, our way of life, what we stand for and wanted to ruin it, to break our spirits.

I'll tell her we finally got him; he was killed the day of her baby shower, but I'll also explain that to revel in the death of another is by no means healthy catharsis. If anything, it shows that we should be proud to be a part of a country that keeps its promise to find those that commit such heinous crimes. No matter how long it takes.

No matter the political, economic, or social climate we are currently facing in 2010, we should all be proud to be a part of such a country. A country that keeps its promises and stays united in the face of great adversity.

So when my daughter asks, that's what I'll tell her.

God bless America


No comments:

Post a Comment